Answers to Questions from Coaches (Unionville Minor Hockey Association)

PrintAnswers to Questions from Coaches

Coach Information


Frequently Asked Questions:


1.    What is the role of a Coach?

Hockey coaches hold a prominent position in the success of a minor hockey organization.  If you think coaching hockey is about teaching skills, you would be mistaken.  While that is a very important job, it is only one facet of this multifaceted position.   Information on understanding the role of the Coach can be found starting on page 20 of the Coach and Convenor Manual.

2.    What is the Coach and Convenor Manual?

The purpose of the Coach and Convenor Manual is to help coaches in all divisions of the UMHA perform their roles in a consistent manner and with minimal investment in administrative functions.  It is also intended to help coaches and other team volunteers understand how the UMHA House League Program is organized to ensure that the hockey programs operate to the benefit of the players involved.


Click here to download your copy of the Coach and Convenor Manual.

3.  What is the Coaches' Code of Ethics?

The Coaches Code of Ethics is a document that articulates the UMHA's policies and objectives and confirms that each coach understands and is willing to abide by these policies and objectives.  Click here to review the Coaches Code of Ethics.

4.  What certifications do I need to be part of the bench staff?

All coaches must be properly certified, as certification is vital to ensure that players can consistently play hockey safely, enjoy the game, and develop their skills, as well as gain a better understanding of the game.  Certification is also important for the UMHA to meet its insurance requirements.   The UMHA is a member of the OMHA and as a result we need to ensure that all of our bench staff meet the minimum requirements for certification as deemed appropriate by the Ontario Minor Hockey Association.  Requirements for certification of coaches at each level are noted below:

  • Head Coach (Mini Mite to Tyke) – Coach 1 (Intro to Coach), Respect in Sport-Activity Leader, Police Vulnerable Sector Check
  • Head Coach (Novice & Above) – Coach 2 (Coach Stream), Respect in Sport-AL, Police Vulnerable Sector Check
  • Assistant Coach – Respect in Sport-AL, Police Vulnerable Sector Check
  • Trainer – HTCP Trainer 1, Respect in Sport-AL, Police Vulnerable Sector Check
  • Other Bench Staff (Manager) – Respect in Sport-AL, Police Vulnerable Sector Check

a)  Coach 1 and Coach 2 Certifications – In order to obtain your Coach 1 or  Coach 2 certifications you are required to enroll in a Coach certification course.  All persons enrolled in a Coach 1 or Coach 2 clinic are required to complete a four hour Hockey University course prior to the in-class portion.  When enrolling, please look for Coach 2 - Coach Level Certification courses.

Click here to go to the the OMHA Coaching Clinic registration site.

b)  Respect in Sport Activity Leader (or Speak Out or Prevention Services Program-PVS) – Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders is an online course that is equivalent to the old Speak Out or PVS and is fully endorsed by Hockey Canada.  You only have to take the Respect in Sport course once, as this certification does not expire.  

Click here to go to the Respect in Sport - Activity Leader Certification site. 

c)  HTCP Trainer 1 Certification – The HTCP is a risk management and safety education program for the volunteer hockey trainer that is designed to educate people in the prevention, recognition and treatment of hockey related injuries.  The course is available as an online e-learning course through the Hockey Development Centre of Ontario and takes approximately three hours to complete. 

Click here to go to the HTCP Trainer 1 Certification site

d)   Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) – The UMHA requires a clear PVSC be filed when someone volunteers for the first time and every four years thereafter.  No PVSC submitted may be dated more than four months prior to submitting to the UMHA.  Applying for a PVSC can now be done online by clicking on the link below.  All applicants will require a letter from the UMHA that confirms that they are volunteers of the UMHA.  The letter will allow the YRP to waive the fingerprinting fees that may be associated with the application.  Fingerprints are required if your date of birth matches someone in the RCMP database. To obtain a letter, please send an email to [email protected] with your full name, address including postal code and date of birth.  Please allow a minimum of one week for processing.   Original PVSCs must be submitted directly to the UMHA office.  Photocopies or scans will not be accepted per the York Regional Police Policy.  The UMHA will not pay for fingerprinting fees.  Therefore, please ensure you have a Volunteer letter prior to your PVSC application.

Click here to go to the York Regional Police website

More information regarding certification requirements can be found by clicking on the following links:

2015-2016 OMHA Certification Chart
Coaches Program - Revised NCCP for Hockey 2015-2016

5.    I have obtained my certifications outside the OMHA.  How do I transfer them to the OMHA?

If you have obtained a COACH certification with an association outside of the OMHA, please complete the Application for Conversion/Upgrade of Certification form and forward it to the OMHA so that your certifications can be added to your Hockey Canada Registration (HCR) system record for UMHA rostering purposes.  You may have to contact the OMHA directly to ensure that the process is completed quickly.

If you have obtained a TRAINER certification or re-certification through the HDCO e-learning course, please complete the Application for Conversion of HDCO HTCP Online Certification form and email it to the OMHA so that your certifications can be added to your Hockey Canada Registration (HCR) system record for UMHA rostering purposes.  You may have to contact the OMHA directly to ensure that the process is completed quickly.

6.    What is the process for getting reimbursed for my certification expenses? 

The UMHA will provide 100% refund of certification fees for those individuals who are volunteering in our house league program.  Individuals who are only volunteering in the Select program should seek reimbursement from their Select team.  Certification reimbursement will begin in January of the current hockey season.  Please complete the Volunteer Reimbursement Form and attach all required receipts.  Forms can be dropped off or mailed to the UMHA office, located in Crosby arena. 

Download the Volunteer Certification Reimbursement Form here.

7.    What qualifies for a refund?

The UMHA will provide reimbursement for clinic fees that provide the minimum qualifications to be a certified volunteer in the house league program.

        Respect in Sport – Activity Leader (all volunteers)
        Coach 1 – Mini Mite to Tyke coaches
        Coach 2 – Novice to Juvenile coaches
        HTCP Trainer Level 1 – Convenors and Team Trainers
        PVSC - all volunteers. 

  • Should you submit a refund request for higher level courses (D1 Coach, Trainer 2), we will provide a refund based on standard rates for the courses outlined above.
  • If you choose to take several Continuing Education Courses to accumulate points as opposed to the re-certification course, once you accumulate sufficient points to qualify for re-certification, please submit your refund request with proof that you have been re-certified.  You will be refunded the standard rate for the cost of a re-certification course if the combined cost of the Continuing Education Courses exceeds this amount.
  • Expenses such as lunch, gas, parking, mileage, etc. will not be refunded.
  • If attendance at a certification course is after January 30th of the current hockey season, refunds will be processed in the next hockey season.  This ensures that we are refunding only those volunteers who will be continuing in our program.
  • Photocopies of receipts and proof of course completion is required and must be submitted with the refund form. 
  • PVSC is refunded at 100% or $30.00.  Please submit the original, stamped PVSC form as soon as you receive it, even if you will be submitting other coaching expenses later.  The $30.00 receipt is not mandatory.


8.  How do I view my certifications?

If you have been registered in hockey previously as a Player, Coach, Official, or Trainer you can access your profile on the Hockey Canada Registry by establishing an eHockey account. Click on the following link to set up access - Hockey Canada eHockey

  1. Click on the Hockey Canada eHockey link
  2. Click on the link - Click here to create an account now
  3. Review the three steps and check the box - • I have read the above steps and would like to create an account. Click the Continue tab.
  4. Create your Account
  5. Click - Add a Participant
  6. Search by first name, last name and date of birth & gender
  7. Click – Search
  8. Add Participant to account
  9. Confirm – Yes – I would like to add this participant to my account
  10. View profile



Category Sites
Social Networking
Follow Us On
Follow Unionville Minor Hockey Association on Twitter
- and -
Visit Unionville Minor Hockey Association on Facebook
- and -
Follow Unionville Minor Hockey Association on Instagram
Quick Links
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
Printed from on Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 6:02 AM