Answers to Questions from Convenors (Unionville Minor Hockey Association)

PrintAnswers to Questions from Convenors

Convenor Information


Frequently Asked Questions:


1.    What is a Convenor?

The convenor is generally a parent or guardian of one of the players in the division that acts as the link between the coaches, the division parents and the UMHA Board of Directors.   Convenors wear many hats and complete many tasks so that all players within the division can have an enjoyable season.  Time commitment will vary throughout the season.  Roles and responsibilities of a convenor can be found starting on page 11 of the Coach and Convenor Manual. 



2.    What is the Coach and Convenor Manual?

The Coach and Convenor Manual is intended to help convenors and coaches in all divisions of the UMHA perform their roles in a consistent manner and with minimal investment in administrative functions.  It is also intended to help coaches and other team volunteers understand how the UMHA House League Program is organized to ensure that the hockey programs operate to the benefit of the players involved.


Click here to download your copy of the Coach and Convenor Manual.

3.    What certifications do I need as a convenor?

Convenors and assistant convenors are required to be properly certified in order to ensure that all players can play hockey in a safe and enjoyable environment.  Certification is also important for the UMHA to meet its insurance requirements.  Certification requirements for convenors in all divisions are as follows:


a)  Respect in Sport Activity Leader (or Speak Out or Prevention Services Program-PRS) – RIS for Activity Leaders (RIS-AL) is an online course that is equivalent to the old Speak Out or PRS and is fully endorsed by Hockey Canada.  You only have to take the RIS-AL course once, as this certification does not expire. 

Click here to go to the Respect in Sport - Activity Leader Certification site.


b)  HTCP Trainer 1 Certification – The HTCP is a risk management and safety education program for the volunteer hockey trainer that is designed to educate people in the prevention, recognition and treatment of hockey related injuries.  The course is available as an online e-learning course through the Hockey Development Centre of Ontario and takes approximately three hours to complete.  

Click here to go to the HTCP Trainer 1 Certification Site.

Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) – The UMHA requires a clear PVSC be filed when someone volunteers for the first time and every four years thereafter.  No PVSC submitted may be dated more than four months prior to submitting to the UMHA.  Applying for a PVSC can now be done online by going to the York Regional Police website.  All applicants will require a letter from the UMHA that confirms that they are volunteers of the UMHA.  The letter will allow the YRP to waive the fingerprinting fees that may be associated with the application.  Fingerprints are required if your date of birth matches someone in the RCMP database. To obtain a letter, please send an email to [email protected] with your full name, address including postal code and date of birth.  Please allow a minimum of one week for processing.

Click here to go to the apply for your PVSC online.

Original PVSCs must be submitted directly to the UMHA office.  Photocopies or scans will not be accepted as per the York Regional Policy policy. 

4.    What is the process for getting reimbursed for my certification expenses? 

The UMHA will provide 100% refund of certification fees for those individuals who are volunteering in our house league program.  Individuals who are only volunteering in the Select program should seek reimbursement from their Select team.  Certification reimbursement will begin in January of the current hockey season.  Please complete a Volunteer Certification Reimbursement Form and attach all required receipts.  Forms can be dropped off or mailed to the UMHA office, located in Crosby arena. 





Category Sites
Social Networking
Follow Us On
Follow Unionville Minor Hockey Association on Twitter
- and -
Visit Unionville Minor Hockey Association on Facebook
- and -
Follow Unionville Minor Hockey Association on Instagram
Quick Links
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
Printed from on Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 4:42 AM